Rad Reading- March

Going Dark-by Melissa De La Cruz – I have not finished reading this book yet; I am currently on page 171. This book is about a girl named Amelia Ashley and her boyfriend Josh. She posts blogs, but the last photo uploaded on her blog was a photo Josh had taken, her eating pistachio gelato. Head tipped back eyes closed, towards the sun. The go to Rome and she stays at someone’s house on this trip, but after Josh thought she was with her friends safe and sound, a dark turn came suddenly.

I like this book so far, it gives good energy, enthusiasm in the words and entertainment. The story starts off with Josh introducing himself, and soon in chapters the book is written in different perspectives form different characters in the book. Then later on in the chapters, it explains the friend she stayed with, or an influencer that wanted to collaborate with Amelia Ashley. The author gives you a glimpse of each character in each chapter, and with good description.

My favorite character is Amelia Ashley, and a character trait I would say she shows is creative. A quote to show the character trait is, “We stepped into a world that felt like it was on the cusp between life and death, teeming with its own heartbeat made of music and lungs made of bodies breathing the same musty air. It felt as if our every move were being followed by the watchful, gaping eyes of our hosts. I chose this quote because instead of saying We entered a place of dead bodies breathing the same air, she was descriptive of the surroundings around her.

My favorite quote is, “On campus, Josh felt all eyes on him, burning into the back of his skull like hot irons.” This quote is meaningful to me because the author used one of the figurative language. The author uses lots of figurative language in her book and it gives depth and structure to the sentences of this book.